- Submitted by Beryl
(Sweet Potato Chapati)
My kids enjoy eating Sweet chapathi's made of sweet potatoes. We always buy some sweet potato every week and enjoy cooking it in various forms. It can be used as sidedish for rice eg: Sweet potato masala, evening snacks for kids eg: boiled sweet potato, or as lunch box receipe eg: Sweet potato chapathi. I prepare this sweet chapathi in bulk (say around 20 to 30) and store it in freezer, thus saving time. I just heat it in the morning and my husband and kid take this in their lunch boxes. One more good thing is that it does not need any sidedish to eat this and is highly recommended as lunch box receipe. As this has less or no sugar, its very healthy receipe for kids.
Recipe for Sweet Potato Roti
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Sweet potato paste - from 3 to 4 sweet potatoes
- Wheat flour - 3 cups
- Oil - 4 teaspoon
- Salt- as necessary
- Boiling water - enough for mixing
- Sugar- only if necessary (optional)
Preparing Sweet Potato Paste
- Cook 3 to 4 sweet potatoes (white or purple skin preferred) in a pot of water by adding a pinch of salt.
- When it is cooked thoroughly, remove from the pot and allow it to cool and then peel the skin.
- Then smash it nicely using a mixie.
Preparing the Dough
- Bring water to boil in a pot.
- In a wide mouth vessel, add the wheat flour, oil, sweet potato paste, and salt and mix well. Add sugar only if there is not enough sweetness in the sweet potato.
- Add the boiling water little by little and make it into a soft dough.
- Allow it to rest for about 15 minutes. Now make small balls out of the dough.
- Using an electric chapati maker or by traditional rolling pin, roll out each ball into a round chapati. Sprinkle some dough on the chapati while rolling to prevent them sticking to the traditional wooden chapati maker.
- Heat a pan on the stove top.
- Put the rolled out chapathi on the pan and when it gets some golden brown dots. Flip it to the other side and wait for the golden brown dots to appear.
- You can also drizzle some oil if you like. The chapati is ready to serve
- Similar rotis can be prepared with avocado puree.
Serving Sweet Potato Roti
- These rotis can be served with some tomato sauce for a quick breakfast or snack.
- It can be served with some curry or used as a roll with some stuffing.
More Sweet Potato Recipes