- submitted by Dahlia
(Cakes for Independence day, Cupcakes in Indian National Flag Colours)
Jump to recipe ↓
Every year during Independence day, my kids look forward to making some tri-coloured dishes. This time we decided to make cupcakes.
These cupcakes are actually plain vanilla cupcakes. I've made them eggless so that all my vegetarian friends will also be able to try. I have divided the cake batter into 3 and added food color to make it tri-coloured. These tricoloured eggless cupcakes are moist, soft and tasty. Make and give a simple snacks for your children.
Video Instructions for making Tricolour Vanilla Cupcakes
Recipe for Tricolour Vanilla Cupcakes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cake Flour - 2 cups (See below for substitute)
- Powdered Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Milk - 1 cup
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Vineger - 1 tsp
- Vanilla Extract - 1 tsp
- Take the cake flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a sieve.
- Sieve it together into a mixing bowl.
- Add oil, vanilla extract and milk to this. Fold it together using a spatula until it comes together as a smooth batter.
- Mix vineger with the batter.
- Divide the batter into 3 and take them in separate bowls.
- Add orange food colour to one bowl and green food colour to another. The third one will be white.
- Mix with the batter. Now we have batter in 3 colours.
- In small muffin cups, pour a tbsp of green batter first and tap it. Pour a tbsp of white cake batter on top of this and tap it to smooth the top. Now top with orange cake batter. Tap again.
- Bake the cupcakes in a 180 degree oven for 15 minutes. Check with a toothpick if it comes out clean.
- I have used cake flour here which gives a soft, lighter cake. These are not easily found in Indian supermarkets. You can order it onine.
- The best substitute for cake flour would be replacing 2 tbsp of corn flour in each 1 cup of maida (all purpose flour). Take 1 cup of maida, take out 2 tbsp of maida and add corn flour in its place.
More Cake Recipes