- Submitted by Dahlia
(Cupcakes, Heart Cupcakes, Valentine's Day Cupcakes)
Last year while browsing for valentines day recipes, this hidden heart cake recipe really stood out. Most of the recipes I saw was a chocolate cake with a pink heart hidden inside. Since I did not have a heart shaped cookie cutter, I continued searching until I found this idea to make a 3D heart hidden within a cupcake. I just made a plain vanilla cake and put the hidden heart inside. So here is the recipe and the method. Kids will love to help you while making this cake. So try out and enjoy!!!
Recipe For Hidden Heart Cup Cakes
- All Purpose Flour - 2 1/2 cups
- Sugar - 1 1/2 cup
- Butter - 3/4 cup
- Eggs - 3
- Baking Powder - 2 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/2 tsp
- Vanilla Extract - 2 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Milk - 1
- Yogurt/ Sour Cream - 1/4 cup
Step I: Making the batter
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and the butter.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Next add the yogurt (or sour cream) and the vanilla extract and mix together.
- Now add the baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Finally mix in the flour and the milk little by little. Add these alternatively until you get a smooth cake batter.
Step II: Making the hearts
- Take about 1/4 of the batter in a separate bowl and mix in some red food color.
- Pour this red colored batter into the cupcake pans. You may get 3-4 cupcakes.
- Bake in a 350 degree F (180 degree C) oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cupcakes into a bowl and crumble it.
- Add 1 or 2 tbsp of the cake batter and mix it.
- Add 1 drop of food color if needed.
- Form a dough with the crumbled cake and shape it like a small top. Then make a small depression on the top with something sharp to make it look like a strawberry.
- Keep these 3D hearts ready in a plate.
Step III: Making the cupcakes
- Pour 2 tbsp of the cake batter in the cupcake pan lined with cupcake liners. You should be able to fill about 15-16 cupcakes.
- Bake it in 350 degree F (180 degree C) for just 5 minutes.
- Remove them and place the 3D hearts in the middle with the pointed side down. The partial baking of the cake helps the hearts to be stable.
- Pour an additional 1-2 tbsp of batter on top to fill the cupcake. The hidden heart should be completely hidden.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
These cupcakes will have a hidden heart when you cut vertically into it. Enjoy this interesting cupcake with your family for this valentines day.
- Hidden Heart Cupcake is a Valentine's day special dish.
- This can be prepared during other day's as well. Kids love them as evening snack along with a cup of milk.
More Cakes and Muffins