- Submitted by Dahlia
Vazhaipoo is an excellent source of fiber. It is said to be effective in treating excessive bleeding during menstruation.
Recipe For Vazhaipoo Poriyal
- Banana flower - 1 (cleaned and chopped)
- Onion - 1
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Split urad dal - 3/4 tsp
- Dry Red chillies - 2
- Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - a sprig
Click to see detailed steps on How to clean Banana Flower?
- Clean and chop the banana flower as per the instructions given.
- Heat oil in a kadai and fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the chopped onions and asafoetida. Saute for few minutes.
- Add the chopped banana flower, turmeric powder and salt. Add little water, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- After the flower is cooked, open the lid and add the grated coconut.
- Stir fry for 3-4 minutes till all the moisture dries out. Switch off and serve this tasty Vazhaipoo Poriyal as a side dish for rice and some curry. You can also use it as a stuffing to make sandwiches or parathas.
More Banana Flower Recipes