- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 20th Jan 2014
(Vazhaipoo Thoran, Banana Flower Stir Fry)
Vazhaipoo is an excellent source of fiber. It is said to be effective in treating excessive bleeding during menstruation.
Banana flower - 1 (cleaned and chopped)
Onion - 1
Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Oil - 2 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Split urad dal - 3/4 tsp
Dry Red chillies - 2
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - a sprig
1. Clean and chop the banana flower as per the instructions given in the link.
2. Heat oil in a kadai and fry the mustard seeds, urad dal, dry red chillies and curry leaves.
3. Add the chopped onions and asafoetida. Saute for few minutes.
4. Add the chopped banana flower, turmeric powder and salt. Add little water, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
5. After the flower is cooked, open the lid and add the grated coconut.
6. Stir fry for 3-4 minutes till all the moisture dries out. Switch off and serve this tasty Vazhaipoo Poriyal as a side dish for rice and some curry. You can also use it as a stuffing to make sandwiches or parathas.
Other Recipes with Banana Flower