- Submitted by Dahlia
(Banana Flower Vada)
Vazhaipoo Vadai is a tasty snack made with banana flower.
- Banana Flower - 1
- Bengal Gram (Kadalai paruppu, channa dal) - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Dry Red Chilli - 2 (or use 1 tsp of red chilly powder)
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Ginger - a small piece
- Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs (finely chopped)
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Fennel Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/ tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
Click to see detailed steps on How to clean Banana Flower?
- Clean the banana flower as per the instructions given. Finely chop it and keep it ready.
- Soak the bengal gram from an hour. Drain the liquid completely.
- Grind it to a coarse paste along with ginger, garlic, red chillies, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt.
- After it is well mixed and coarsely ground, add the chopped banana flowers, onions and curry leaves. Pulse it a couple of times in the blender to that it mixes well. You can also mix it with hand.
- The above vada mixture should not have excessive moisture. So be careful to drain the water completely from the dal before grinding.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or kadai. Make small patties out of the vada mixture.
- Deep fry or shallow fry till golden brown. Place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil. Enjoy the vazhaipoo vadais while they are hot and crispy.
- You can serve these vazhaipoo vadas warm with a cup of tea as an evening snack.
- You can also serve it as a side dish for rice, variety rice etc.
More Banana Flower Recipes