- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Vella Seedai, Jaggery Balls, Sweet Rice Marbles)
A famous South Indian snack made specially during Janmashtami.
Recipe For Vella Cheedai
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
Makes: 25-30 pieces
Shelf life: a week in airtight container
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- Jaggery - 1 cup
- Water - ¼ cup
- Coconut bits - handful
- Grated coconut - 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder - ¼ tsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Oil - for frying
- Sesame seeds (Optional). Some people like to add white sesame seed too.
For making homemade rice flour
- Rinse the raw rice and soak it in water for 1 hour.
- Drain the water and spread the soaked rice in a clean soft towel.
- Let it air dry till it is almost dry. It should not be completely dried up but a little bit of moisture should be there.
- Grind the same in mixie or blender to a fine powder.
- Keep aside for half an hour and sieve the flour. Ensure that no rice granules are there and the flour is very smooth. The cheedai will burst in oil if the granules are there so make sure to sieve 3 - 4 times.
You can prepare this rice flour ahead of time. This flour can be used to make uppu cheedai, thattai etc.
To make Vella Cheedai Dough
- In a kadai, add the jaggery and ¼ cup water and melt the same.
- Filter this to remove any impurities.
- Take this in a clean pan along with coconut bits and grated coconut.
- Boil again till you find 2-3 strings in the jaggery. (NOTE: To check this, remove the spatula from the jaggery. Dip your hand in water and touch the jaggery in the spatula with your index finger. Press it with your thumb and release your fingers. You will be able to see the sticky strings forming in between both fingers. Another method is to drop the jaggery in little water and remove it from the water you should be able to form a small ball out of it.)
- At this stage, remove the same from the gas.
- Mix the rice powder slowly into the jaggery without forming lumps.
- Add all the rice flour, cardamom powder and ghee. It will form a nice and firm dough.
- Lastly add the ghee, mix well and keep aside. Let this rest for about 10 minutes. The dough will stay good at room temperature for 2-3 days. So you can prepare this ahead of time.
To make Vella Cheedai
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Knead the dough once again and make small marble balls out of it.
- Put only 4-5 balls at a time in the hot oil. The above measurement makes around 25-30 cheedais.
- Deep fry the balls on medium heat till the outside turns brown color. Make sure the inside of the dough is also cooked properly.
- Remove it and keep on the absorbent paper for removing the excess oil. The cheedais will harden as it cools.
Your vella cheedai is ready. Allow it to cool and store it in an airtight container.
- The real taste of the vella cheedai is after two to three days:-)
More Snack Recipes