- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 02-24-2012
(Savory Rice Marbles)
Rice four - 2 cups
Urad dal powder - 3 tbsp
White sesame seeds - 1 tsp (slightly roasted)
Grated coconut - 1 tsp
Salt - to taste
Crushed jeera (cumin)/ Black pepper - 1 tsp
Hing (Asafoetida) powder - ¼ tsp
Butter - 2 tsp
Oil for frying
Method for making rice flour:
First rinse the raw rice and soak it in water for 1 hour.
- Remove the water and spread the same in a soft towel.
- Allow it to dry. It should not be completely dried but little bit moisture should be there.
- Grind the same in mixer to a fine powder.
- Keep aside for half an hour and sieve it.
- Ensure that no rice granules are there in it as the cheedai will burst if the granules are there. You will have to sieve 3 - 4 times.
Method for making urad dhal flour:
Heat a pan, dry roast ½ cup urad dal until slightly goden brown colour and nice aroma comes.
- Grind it to a fine powder and sieve it two to three times to ensure that you get a fine granule less powder.
Making the dough:
- In a bowl, mix the rice and dhal flour, sesame seeds, grated coconut, salt, crushed jeera/pepper powder, hing powder and butter.
- Add water little by little to form a stiff dough. Please note that it should not be watery or loose.The dough should be pliable.
- Now roll small balls out of it slightly bigger than a green peas and put them on a dry cloth. You should not roll the balls smoothly.
- Let it stand for ½ hr for the moisture to leave.
- You may prick each ball with a toothpick to avoid bursting.
To make the cheedai:
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Keep the flame in low and fry the balls till golden brown.
- Drain it in absorbent paper to remove the excess oil.
- Allow to cool and store it in an airtight container.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Other Snacks Recipes