- Submitted by Dahlia
(Zucchini Paruppu Curry, Zucchini Lentil Curry)
When I first moved to US, I was always in a look out for new native vegetables. There was a farmers market near the place I lived where fresh vegetables were available throughout the year. I used to buy atleast one new vegetable per week. I bought Zucchini on one such visit to the farmers market. The very first recipe that I tried with the vegetable was this Zucchini Dal.
Throughout India it is quite common to make dal in some form almost everyday. Any vegetable added to dal is quite comforting to have. So I usually prefer to make dal whenever I experiment with a new vegetable. This recipe below is more of a South Indian style dal with coconut paste. Amazingly, Zucchini blends so well with Indian flavors. It tastes like the Indian cucumber or bottle gourd with which dal is made often.
These days Zucchini has also become very common in Indian markets. Now I make many more recipes using Zucchini but I will never forget the first dish that I ever tried with it. Please do try this recipe and share your comments.
Recipe for Zucchini Dal
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Zucchini - 2 (chopped)
- Moong Dhal - 1 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - as necessary
- Grated Coconut - 3 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Green Chilies - 2
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Dry red chilies - 2
- Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Shallots - 3 or 1/2 onion (chopped)
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Wash and cook the dal till soft. You may cook it using a pressure cooker for 1 whistle or just in an open pot.
- Chop the zucchini into small pieces. When the dal is almost cooked, add the zucchini pieces.
- Continue cooking until the zucchini pieces become soft. This vegetable doesn't take much time to cook.
- While the dal and zucchini are cooking, make a coarse paste of grated coconut, green chilies and cumin seeds.
- Add this to the cooked dal. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes for the raw smell of the masala to vanish.
- After everything cooks and blends well, switch off the stove.
- In another pan, heat some oil.
- When it gets heated add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onion and garlic.
- Saute for couple of minutes till the onions turn golden brown in color.
- Add this tempering to the dal. Zuchini dal is ready to be served. Keep it covered until serving.
Detailed Steps for Zucchini Dal
Wash the dal, add enough water, salt and some turmeric powder. Cook it on medium flame until the dal turns soft. It takes about 15 minutes.
Chop the Zucchini into small pieces and add it to the dal. Continue to cook it until the zucchini becomes soft. It takes another 10 minutes.
Coarsely grind the grated coconut, green chilies and cumin seeds. Add this to the cooked zucchini and dal. Cook for another couple of minutes and switch off.
Heat some oil in a kadai and pop the mustard seeds.
Add dry red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida. Also add chopepd onion and garlic.
Once the onions turn golden brown, add this tempering to the cooked dal mixture. Mix everything together and keep it covered until ready to serve.
- Toor dal or Masoor dal can also be used to prepare this recipe.
Serving Zucchini Dal
- This curry can be served with rice or chappati along with some vegetable side dish, papad and pickle.
- Adding 2 tsp ghee at the end enhances the taste of the dal.
More Zucchini Recipes