- Submitted by Dahlia
(Zucchini Pachadi, Zucchini Thuvayal, Zucchini Chammandhi)
Chutney is an iportant part of Indian cuisine. It is served with breakfast, snacks, roti and rice. There are many varieties of chutney made with different vegetables, fruits and nuts. One such type of chutney that I make is this Zucchini Chutney.
Zucchini is a watery vegetable belonging to the squash family. I came across this vegetable in US farmers market. When I asked one of my Andhra fried, she recommended trying this chutney. From my American church friends i came to know that Zucchini can be eaten raw. So I gave this a try. This is the first dish that I tried with Zucchini. After that I made several curries with it and all of them were quite successful. Zucchini blends well with Indian spices. It can be used in any recipe as a substitute for bottlegourd (lauki) or pumpkin. Nowadays Zucchini is available easily in India. So do give this a try.
Video Instructions for making Zucchini Chutney
Recipe For Zucchini Chutney
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Zucchini - 1 (about 250 gms, washed, peeled and cubed)
- Green Chilies - 3 (chopped)
- Tamarind pulp - 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal - 2 tbsp
- Coconut (grated) - 2 tbsp (optional)
- Garlic - 1 clove
- Asaefoetida - a pinch
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cilantro - handful
- Curry leaves - 4
- Red chilly - 1
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Heat little oil in a pan, roast the urad dal and grated coconut till a nice aroma comes. Then, keep it aside.
- Next add zucchini pieces and green chilies to the same pan and fry till it becomes tender.
- Add the garlic, tamarind, asafoetida, cumin seeds and cilantro and saute for few minutes.
- Grind all the above ingredients along with the roasted dal and grated coconut in a blender. Grind it to a fine paste with little water.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter the mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilly.
- Add it to the ground mixture. Zucchini chutney is ready to be served.
Detailed Steps to make Zucchini Chutney
Heat oil in a pan, roast urad dal and grated coconut till it turns golden brown. Remove it on a plate.
Next add zucchini pieces and green chilies to the same pan. Fry till it becomes tender.
Add garlic cloves, tamarind piece, asafoetida, cumin seeds and cilantro. Saute for few minutes.
Grind all the above ingredients along with the roasted dal and grated coconut. Add water as needed.
Heat oil in another small pan, splutter the mustard seeds, curry leaves and dry red chili. Add it to the ground chutney. Zucchini chutney is ready to be served.
Serving Zucchini Chutney
- Serve the zucchini chutney with plain white rice, dosa or idlis.
More Zucchini Recipes