- Submitted by Dahlia
(Spicy Roasted Peanuts, Roasted Groundnuts, Masala Kadalai)
Masala Peanuts is one of my favourite snack that my grandma used to prepare whenever I visit her during vacation. When she comes to see me, I used to search her bag for my precious Spicy Roasted Peanuts, simply known as Varutha Kadalai. After my marriage I couldn’t visit her often, but when I visited her, she made sure to roast some peanuts for me. It was indeed a heavy competition now as there were two more to share my bowl of peanuts - my son and my husband. More than my son, my husband went crazy over these Masala Peanuts.
Peanuts, also known as groundnuts has a good source of energy. It is rich in proteins.P-Coumaric acid present in peanuts reduce risk of stomach cancer. It reduces Kidney stones. It is a good antioxidant and it improves blood flow in body. It reduces blood clots which has become a very serious problem nowadays. It is an amazing fact that groundnut oil is being recommended by many doctors nowadays as it is said to reduce heart problems. I beleive thats the reason our ancestors had less heart problems. The packeted refined oil with fancy advertisements are now being replaced by groundnut oil. Now I buy country side Mara chekku (Wood pressed oil) for regular cooking. I have got a oil can made of stainless steel to get oil for a whole month. No more plastics covers. I recommend all my subscribers also to do the same.
Coming back to our todays dish masala peanuts, you can give it for kids as a snack after playtime as it compensates the energy drained after hours of playtime. Masala Peanuts can be made instantly while watching a good movie or while enjoying a family time. I make these often for my family in a simpler way using microwave which I have shared below. The peanuts roasted with a delicious mix of spices is very addictive. The recipe is very versatile. You can add in different spices, sauces as per your creativity and taste. It is a perfect snack for bachelors to make. So try it out today and enjoy!!
Recipe For Spicy Masala Peanuts
Preparation Time : 3 minutes
Cooking Time : 3 minutes
Serves : 2 - 3
- Peanuts (un-roasted) - 1 cup
- Red Chilly Powder - 1/2 tsp (or to taste)
- Garam Masala - 1/4 tsp
- Chaat Masala - 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 spring
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Take the peanuts in a microwave safe bowl. Cook on micro power high for 1 minute.
- Add the oil, red chilly powder, salt, chaat masala, garam masala, curry leaves and mix.
- Microwave again for 2 minutes stirring after every 30 sec.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes. The peanuts will continue to cook and become crispy. (Every microwave is different so keep a careful watch while cooking. It may take a little less or more time than specified here.)
Serving Masala Peanuts
- Enjoy this instant snack any time of the day with a cup of tea or soda. Some people serve this as a sidedish for rice with pulikulambu.
More Peanut Recipes