- Submitted by Dahlia
(Borosilicate Glass Lunch Box Set with Carry Bag 960 ml)
Here I have another review. This time it is Borosilicate Lunchbox set from Home Puff. When I received an e-mail from Home Puff that they wanted me to review their glass lunchbox set, I was excited. I am a big fan of glassware and have been using them for the last 10 years now. I feel that it not only looks classy but has other benefits too. I have used glass lunch box and bowls from other brands. This is the first time I am trying a product from Home Puff. The product they sent me was Borosilicate Glass Lunch Box With Carry Bag 960ML.
Now coming to the product I received, it was a set of 3 lunch boxes along with an insulated lunch-bag. The packaging was done in a safe way and couriered to me. I received the product without any damage. The package included:
- Set of 3 square glass boxes that had a capacity of 320 ml each. The three boxes had a pretty green coloured clip-on plastic lid.
- The boxes were stacked one over the other within a carry bag. This lunch bag was also a beautiful green coloured one.
Why Glass Lunch Box?
Before I get into the review, I want to brief about why I prefer glass boxes. Recently many states in India have started their journey towards becoming plastic free. Everyone is looking an alternative for their plastic lunch boxes. Stainless steel is an option that is used by many. Those who have used will know that it is difficult to re-heat it or avoid spillage. Glass lunchbox is another great alternative that have been in the markets for the last few years. Here are some of the reasons why you should start using glass lunchbox.
- Glass looks elegant and does not look old even after years of use. It does not hold stains or gets scratched.
- Glass is healthier as they don’t leach chemicals into hot food. It can safely be used for microwaving.
- Even without re-heating, glass lunchboxes holds heat better as it is non-porous.
- Glass can be recycled and can be used over and over again.
- Glass can be safely used in the freezer, microwave, oven and dishwasher. This is helpful because you can use the same container to refrigerate the food and reheat the next day. This is a great option if you have to pre-prepare the meals a day before.
After receiving the box, I just gave a quick rinse, removed the stickers and got my boxes ready for the first trial. The glass looked thick and seemed to be of good quality.
Being South Indians, the most common item that we carried for our lunch to work was Variety Rice. I also love to take some fresh seasonal fruits to work for snacking. So here is what I packed today - Vegetable Rice, Raita, Watermelon pieces.
The boxes are each 320 ml and holds a good portion of food, about 1.5 cups of rice and chopped fruits.
The lids were clip-on type, which I loved. With my previous experience, I can say that clip-on lids lasts longer than the regular lids for glass boxes. The lids were made of plastic and had a silicone ring which made the boxes leak proof. It also has an air vent for easy opening.
I placed the boxes in the carry bag. The lunch bag was insulated which helps maintain the temperature of the food taken. The bag also has space to keep spoon and fork.
It also had a pouch in the front where I kept a lunch towel. The carry bag has good handle to hold it. It also had long straps that can be used for hanging, may be in a two wheeler.
After 4 hours, I opened the lunch box. The food was fresh and warm. The company claimed that the boxes were airtight and leak-proof. This was true because the raita had not spilled out. The watermelon pieces retained their freshness.
Next I microwaved the vegetable rice for 1 minute in micro power high. The box is microwave safe but the lid is not. So do not use the lid while microwaving. I was able to enjoy my lunch hot and fresh even after hours of being prepared.
Drawbacks of Glass Lunch Box
- Even though the product is made of very good quality, glass has to be handled with extra care to avoid breakage, especially while washing and carrying to workplace.
- The glass lunch boxes cannot be given to children due to safety reasons. Only adults can use it.
- Glass boxes are quite expensive as compared to plastic or stainless steel ones.
- It cannot be used for heating if your workplace does not provide microwave facility.
This particular lunch bag set that I received had 3 square boxes of 320 ml each, which would be the right size for me. The size is ideal for ladies and college going students. For my husband I would prefer a slightly bigger size. Home Puff's website has many options to choose from ( https://homepuff.com/product-category/lunch-box/glass-lunch-box/ ).
On the whole, I love this lunchbox set. I would recommend this to anyone who have the option of microwaving at workplace. Even otherwise, it would be a great choice to have a glass lunchbox.
Other Product Reviews