- Submitted by Dahlia
(ஆட்டுக்கால் சூப். Goat Leg Soup, ஆட்டு கால் சூப், Aatukal Soup)
Jump to recipe ↓
Attukal soup (mutton trotter soup or goat leg soup) is the broth of mutton leg bones that is served when people are recovering from cold or other ailments. The collagen content in the bones in very effective in building the body tissues and hence it is recommended for people with bone weakness.
Traditionally this soup is made in clay pots and cooked overnight. Today we have pressure cookers that have made life so much simpler. So check out this simple recipe of attukal soup and try it out soon.
Recipe for Attukal Soup
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Goat legs – 2 (about ½ kg)
- Big Onion – 1
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Black Peppercorns – 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Coriander Leaves – handful (chopped)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Scrape the black burnt hair of the goat legs gently with a knife. Wash the legs thoroughly 2-3 times.
- Soak the legs for about 15 minutes in some warm water, drain it and wash again.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and saute the onions, turmeric powder and goat legs in it.
- Coarsely crush the garlic cloves, black peppercorns, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Add this to the sautéed goat legs.
- Add 5-6 cups of water to this with required salt. Bring to a boil.
- Cook for 15 whistles and switch off. Let the pressure release on its own.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Serve this attukal soup hot as an appetizer or as a light meal.
More Mutton Recipes