- Submitted by Beryl
(Brown Rice Khichuṛī, Brown Rice Kichadi)
Jump to recipe ↓
One of my vegetarian friend asked me to try satvik brown rice khichdi (no onion, no oil) healthy recipe. So I recently bought a clay pot and tried as per her instructions. It came out really good. Here's the recipe:
Recipe For Brown Rice Khichdi
- Brown rice- 1 cup (I used Australian brown rice and soaked for 2.5 to 3 hours).
- Water- 4 cups
- Beans- 1 cup
- Carrot- 1 cup
- Bottle gourd- 1 cup
- Cabbage- 1/4 cup
- Spinach - 1 cup
- Tomato- 1 cup
- Coconut- 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilly - 2 to 3
- Corriander leaf- 1/4 cup
- Salt- as necessary
- Soak the brown rice for 2.5 to 3 hours.
- In a clay pot, add the water. When it starts to boil, add the rice. Add some salt and cover and cook for about 40 minutes.
- Add carrot, beans, bottle gourd and cabbage.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder and chilly.
- When they are almost cooked, add spinach, tomato and coconut and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add coriander leaf and switch off the stove.
- Check the taste and add salt if necessary.
Brown rice khichdi is ready to serve now.
More Rice Recipes