- Submitted by Beryl
Jump to recipe ↓
Celery is a leafy vegetable which is usually consumed raw and sometimes cooked as a side ingredient to enhance the flavor and taste of the dish. Here I have used celery as a main ingredient and made a poriyal (South Indian style stir-fry) out of it. Here is the recipe.
Recipe For Celery Poriyal
- Celery - 2 cups ( chopped into small pieces)
- Sunflower oil - 3 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
- Urid dhal - 3 teaspoon
- Curry leaves - 10 to 15
- Onion - 1
- Green chilly - 3
- Ginger and garlic pieces - small quantity
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Chilly powder - 1 teaspoon (adjust according to your taste)
- Desiccated or grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Salt - as necessary
- Water - about 1/4 cup
- Wash the celery thoroughly and cut them into small pieces using a wooden board and knife.
- Now cut the green chillies and onion.
- Switch on the stove and keep a pan on top of it. Allow it to become hot.
- When the pan gets heated enough, pour sunflower oil or other cooking oil into it.
- When the oil becomes hot enough, put mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add urad dhal and saute till it becomes golden brown. Now add onion, green chilly and saute for about 2 minutes
- Next add ginger and garlic pieces and stir well till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add celery and stir well. Add some water.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly Powder and mix well. While adding chilly powder, check the spice, as there is already green chilly in the pan
- Add salt as necessary. Mix everything and check the taste.
- When the vegetable is almost done, add grated coconut or desiccated coconut and stir well and check the taste.
- After about 5 to 8 minutes, switch off the stove and the poriyal is ready to serve.
- Server the steamy hot celery poriyal with plain rice and rasam.
More Celery Recipes