- Submitted by Dahlia
Jump to recipe ↓
During October to December season, Drumstick (Moringa oleifera) vegetable is available in plenty in everyone’s homes. In our place, almost everyone has a drumstick tree in their backyard and it is loaded with drumsticks during season. During such days it is quite common to make drumstick poriyal.
Drumstick poriyal is a simple preparation almost similar to making aviyal. Drumstick pieces are cooked with a masala made of coconut and green chilies. It goes well with moru curry or rasam.
Recipe For Drumstick Poriyal
- Drumstick – 2 (cut into 2” sticks)
- Onion -1 (Chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – 1 pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
- Grated Coconut – 3-4 tbsp
- Green Chilies – 2
- Sambar Onions – 2
- Garlic – 2
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Wash the drumsticks, scrape it and cut into 2” sticks. Slice it from the middle.
- Heat oil in a claypot/ kadai, pop the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and saute for a minute.
- Add the drumstick pieces, turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- While this is cooking, grind the ingredients under ‘For Grinding’ to a coarse paste without any water.
- Add this to the cooked drumsticks and mix well.
- Stir fry for couple of minutes till all the moisture dries up and the raw smell of the masala is gone. Tasty drumstick poriyal is ready to be served.
- Server the worm drumstick poriyal with plain rice along with moru curry or rasam.
More Drumstick / Moringa Recipes