- Submitted by Dahlia
(நெய் சோறு, Neychoru, Rice with Clarified Butter)
Jump to recipe ↓
Ghee rice is a very aromatic South Indian rice variety in which rice is cooked with ghee and spices. It is then garnished with fried onions, coriander leaves and toasted nuts. In some places, carrot pieces are also added to make it colourful. This is served in weddings in our native place with mutton curry, chicken fry and some sweet dish. This meal is much easier to put together as compared to other rich menu. I often make this menu on sundays and all of us enjoy it.
The best part about ghee rice is that it can be served with any veg or non-veg gravies of your choice. It goes well with everything. You can make this rice with Basmati Rice or Zeera (Jeeraga Samba) Rice, whichever is your favourite. It tastes good with both rice varieties.
Recipe For Ghee Rice
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- Basmati Rice/ Zeera Rice - 2 cups, washed and drained
- Onion - 1, large (finely sliced)
- Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 2 (optional)
- Whole Garam Masala – (4 Cloves, 2 Cardamom, 1” Cinnamon stick, 1 star anise, 1 Bay leaf)
- Cashew nuts - 10-12
- Raisins - fistful (optional)
- Salt - to taste
- Coriander leaves – handful (finely chopped)
- Ghee - 4-5 tbsp
- Hot Water – 3.5 cups
- Wash and soak the rice with enough water for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat 3-4 tbsp of ghee in a pressure cooker or any heavy bottomed pot. First add the cashew nuts, toast till golden brown and remove from ghee.
- Now add the whole garam masala and saute for a minute. Now add the ginger garlic paste and slit green chilies.
- Drain the rice and add to this. Fry in ghee for 4-5 minutes till you get a nice aroma.
- Add the hot water and required salt. Let it come to a boil again and then reduce the flame.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes. If using pressure cooker, cook for just 1 whistle and switch off.
- While this is getting cooked, heat ghee in a frying pan and add sliced onions. Fry it on medium flame for 10 minutes till it becomes brown in colour. Do not burn it. (Optionally, you can also saute some finely chopped carrots in some ghee too.)
- When the rice is cooked, open the lid, add the fried onions on top. Also add finely chopped coriander leaves and toasted cashews on top. If you are using carrots, add them too.
- Add 1 tbsp of fresh ghee on top. Cover with a lid and keep in covered for another 5 minutes. This will help blend the flavours.
- Now gently fluff up the rice and enjoy.
- Server the steaming ghee rice with any veg or non-veg gravies of your choice. It goes well with any indian gravy.
More Rice Recipes