- Submitted by Dahlia
(Puzhungarisi Idiyappam, Par Boiled Rice Idiyappam)
Jump to recipe ↓
Idiyappam (String Hopper) is most commonly made using raw rice flour. However the traditional method of preparation is by soaking rice, grinding, cooking and then making them into Idiyappams. The process might sound lengthy but it's not that hard. The Idiyappam made in this method is super soft. Once you taste this, you will probably not make using flour. Do give this method a try.
Recipe for Idiyappam with Boiled Rice
Preparation time: 6 hours (for soaking and grinding)
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- idiyappam press
- Idiyappam plates with rack (Alternatively, you can use the idli moulds)
- Rice (Boiled rice) - 1.5 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Wash and soak the rice with enough water for 4-6 hours.
- Grind it to a smooth batter. Add salt to this.
- Take this batter in a kadai and cook in low flame.
- In just couple of minutes, the mixture thickens. Cook till it comes together as one mass.
- Transfer this dough to another vessel and let it cool.
- Once it cools, knead it. Press it through the idiyappam press into idli moulds or idiyappam plates.
- Steam for 4-5 minutes. Soft idiyappam is ready.
More Traditional Tiffin Recipes