- Submitted by Dahlia
Jump to recipe ↓
In my home all are fans of clear soups than the thick soups. We make varieties of clear soups. After a heavy meal, it is often perfect to have a soup for dinner. Also when you are sick or during cold days, soups are very soothing.
Today I am sharing one such soup recipe made with Leeks. This is a leafy vegetable which looks like a giant size spring onion stalk. Read more about leaks in WikiPedia. Leaks are not very common in India. I buy them online from Big Basket. Sometimes you can find them in supermarkets too. Thay are similar to green onions. The white part is often used in salads. The green portion is thicker and can be used only if you cook them. In this soup recipe you can use both white and green portions.
Leeks Soup is easy soup to prepare with just few basic ingredients. The flavour of the leeks is so satisfying. You can add mushroom or chicken pieces to make the soup more filling. If you want to make it a full meal, you can add some noodles or pasta to the soup. However, I like to keep it light and serve with some toasted bread.
Recipe For Leeks Clear Soup
- Leeks – 1 cup (chopped)
- Mushroom (or Chicken pieces) – ½ cup
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves (chopped)
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Water (or vegetable stock) – 4 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Crushed Black Pepper – ½ tsp
- Wash the leeks thoroughly. Remove each leaf and clean to remove any dirt. Chop it in circles, both white and green portion.
- In a big pot, add the olive oil. Add chopped garlic.
- After about 30 seconds, add chopped mushroom and leeks. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes and switch off.
- Enjoy piping hot leeks soup with a slice of toasted bread as a light meal or have it as an appetizer.
More Soup Recipes