- Submitted by Dahlia
(Dried Turkey Berry Gravy)
Jump to recipe ↓
Vattal Kuzhambu or Vatral Kulambu is one authentic South Indian curry that is made as part of the traditional meal spread and also at homes. It is spicy, tangy and delicious with steaming hot white rice.
Vatrals or Vattals are the common name given to sun dried vegetables. Traditionally raw mangoes, cluster beans, brinjals, okra , sundakkai , manathakkali, pavakkai etc. are dried to make vatrals. These are usually stored throughout the year and used to make this curry. The most popular of them all are the vatrals made with sundakkai (Turkey Berry). I have already shared Manathakkali Vattal Kulambu in which I used store bought Sambar Powder. You can prepare this Sundakkai Vattal Kulambu in the same method. Today I am sharing the method of preparing masala powder at home using fresh spices. It makes the gravy more aromatic and tasty. Do give it a try.
Recipe For Sundakkai Vattal Kulambu
- Sundakkai Vattal (Dried Turkey Berry)– 2 tbsp
- Shallots – 20 (sliced)
- Garlic Cloves – 5 (Chopped)
- Sesame Oil – ¼ cup
- Tamarind – Gooseberry Size (Soaked)
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ tsp
- Jaggery – ¼ tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Channa Dal – 2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/8 tsp
- Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander Seeds – 2 tsp
- Dry Red Chilies – 6
- Toor Dal – 2 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds – ½ tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds – ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaves – 3-4
- Peppercons – 4-5
- Dry roast all the ingredients under ‘Masala Powder’ in low flame for 3-4 minutes. Cool it and powder it.
- Heat oil in a clay pot and pop the mustard seeds. Add asafetida, channa dal and curry leaves.
- Add the Sundakai vattals and fry it for a minute.
- Add the turmeric powder, sliced shallot onions and garlic cloves. Roast for few minutes.
- Add the freshly prepared masala powder and fry for a minute.
- Extract the pulp out of the soaked tamarind and add it. Add about ½ cup water and required salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the flame and let it cook on low heat for about 15 minutes. By now oil will start separating on top.
- Add jaggery and few fresh curry leaves. Switch off and keep covered for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Sundakkai Vattal Kuzhambu goes well with piping hot white rice, some vegetable and papadam.
More Tamarind Based Curry Recipes