- Submitted by Beryl
Yellow pumpkin is easily available in all vegetable shops. Most people do not include this vegetable in their daily food, due to its sweetness. When pumpkin is combined with tamarind it gives an excellent taste, which everyone likes to eat. The sweetness of the pumpkin, tanginess of the tamarind water and the spices added perfectly compliment each other.
This pmpkin tamarind curry, also known as Mathanga Curry is mostly made in Kerala. It is served with white rice along with some vegetable side dishes and papadam. This is one of the tastiest way of including this healthy vegetable in our diet. Let's see how to make this recipe.
Recipe for Pumpkin Tamarind Curry
Preparation Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
- Pumpkin - 1/4 kg
- Tamarind water - from one lemon size tamarind
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies - 4
- Jaggery powder - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder-1 tsp
- Onion - 1
- Shallots - 10
- Tomato -1/2
- Ginger garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilies - 4
- Curry leaves - 10
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 1 bunch
- Oil - 3 tsp
- First in a pan, pour cooking oil and allow it to become hot. Now add mustard seeds, cumin seeds.
- When the mustard seeds start to splutter, add shallots, curry leaves, onion, dry red chilies, green chilies, fenugreek seeds and stir well.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and stir well. Now add salt and tomatoes.
- Now add spices like turmeric powder, coriander powder, asafoetida powder and red chili powder and mix well.
- Pour about 1.5 cups of water and mix well.
- Now add the pumpkin pieces and tamarind water and mix well. Cover and allow the pumpkin to cook well.
- When the pumpkin is cooked enough, check the taste and adjust the salt and other ingredients like red chili powder and tamarind juice.
- Now add the jaggery powder and mix well. Continue cooking.
- When the oil starts floating on the top, switch off the stove. Garnish with coriander leaves. Pumpkin tamarind curry is ready to serve with rice.
More Sauce Recipes