- Submitted by Ivana Hesper
(Milk Bun, Dinner Rolls)
Jump to recipe ↓
Sweet buns or milk buns are popular bakery item in India. People love to have these with evening tea. These are usually round in shape. However different shaped buns are also made that are known as pavs, hotdog buns, burger buns, which are less sweeter. These are served with savoury filling.
Today I want to share the bakery style sweet buns. These buns can be made easily at home using maida, milk, yeast, butter and sugar. It is soft and tasty. It just need a little planning ahead as the dough needs to be proofed using yeast. Be sure to try this recipe.
Recipe For Sweet Buns
Preparation Time: 180 minutes (including proofing time)
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serves - 4-5
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) – 2 cups
- Luke warm milk – 1/2 cup
- Yeast – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp (for proofing the yeast)
- Sugar – 3-4 tbsp (Depending on how sweet you prefer)
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Butter (softened) – 3 tbsp
- Butter – 1-2 tbsp (for applying on the buns)
- Egg – 1 (Note: If you want to make it eggless, add 2 tbsp milk instead)
- First lets activate the yeast. This step is the most crucial to make bread or bun. Add 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp yeast to 1/2 cup luke warm milk (105-110 F). Mix it and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. If the yeast is alive it will start foaming. If it does not, please do not proceed.
- Take the all purpose flour (maida) in a mixing bowl. Add salt, butter, egg, sugar and the yeast mixture. If you do not want to add egg, add an additional 2 tbsp of milk.
- Mix together. It will be a very sticky dough initially.
- Another important step in making bun is the kneading part. You need to knead the dough for a good 10-15 minutes. Add 1-2 tbsp of maida to help with kneading.
- After a minimum 10 minutes of kneading, the dough will become soft and less sticky.
- Apply some oil over the dough, let it proof in a bowl for 2 hours. The dough will become double in size.
- Punch the dough and roll it gently. Divide into 9 equal parts. Take each part and roll it into a bun. Roll it to get a smooth bun.
- Place each rolled bun in a baking tray. Leave enough space in between for the second proofing of dough. Using a brush, apply some milk on the top to prevent it from drying. If you prefer, you can sprinkle some sesame seeds or tutti fruti on top.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 degree F) and bake for 20 minutes. The top should become golden brown. Each oven is different and the time taken may be 1 or 2 minutes more or less.
- As soon as you remove from the over, apply some butter over the top.
- Cover with the damp cloth and let the buns cool for 15-20 minutes. This is also important to make the buns soft. After that you can enjoy these soft buns.
Serving Sweet Buns
- These buns can be enjoy plain with a cup of tea.
- You can apply some butter or cream or jam on these buns too. Kids will love it.
- You can make pav buns to have with pav bhaji or chicken curry using the same procedure. Just skip the sugar.
- If you do not have oven, you can make these in a cooker. Put a layer of salt in the cooker, place a wire stand and preheat the cooker for 10 minutes. Place the pan on top, cover the cooker without whistle and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
More Baking Recipes