- Submitted by Dahlia
(வேப்பம் பூ துவையல், Neem Flower Tuvaiyal)
Jump to recipe ↓
Neem Flowers, called locally as Veppam Poo is found in all Neem trees during the start of summer in the month of April. I have made Veppampoo Rasam before and shared the recipe too. Today my maid suggested making Veppampoo Thuvaiyal and shared her recipe with me. I was hesitant at first but later decided to try it. This thuvaiyal is good to improve the immune system, purifies blood and treats indigestion. You can make this thuvaiyal will fresh neem flowers or dry neem flowers that you get these days in herbal shops or supermarkets.
Recipe For Veppam Poo Thuvaiyal
- Neem Flowers – ½ cup (cleaned)
- Urad dal – 2 tbsp
- Dry Red Chilies – 6
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Asafoetida – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan, dry roast the rad dal till it turns golden brown in colour.
- When it is almost roasted add the dry red chilies and roast for another 30 seconds.
- Add the asafoetida and immediately transfer everything to a plate to cool.
- Heat another 2 tsp oil in the same frying pan and roast the neem flowers. Keep stirring it continuously to prevent it from getting burnt.
- After you roast it for about 3-4 minutes, the flowers would turn brown in color. Roast it to this stage to remove the bitterness. Remove this also to the plate to cool.
- Take all the roasted ingredients, salt and tamarind in a mixie jar and grind it to a coarse paste by just sprinkling little water.
- Serve this veppampoo thuvaiyal with hot white rice and a spoonful of gingelly oil.
- Instead of making it as a thuvayal, you can powder it coarsely and enjoy too.
- A small piece of jaggery can be added to balance the flavours.
More Veppam Poo / Neem Flower Recipes