- Submitted by Dahlia
(Quinoa and Vegetables Upma)
Jump to recipe ↓
Quinoa is a seed that is becoming popular in India due to its high protein content and other nutritional benefits. Those living in western countries will have access to this easily. In India, this is available online and in big supermarkets.
Quinoa Upma is a Indian style preparation with loads of vegetables and an aromatic seasoning. As with all other upmas, the seasoning is the main highlight here. It is a wholesome and filling meal. Try making this for breakfast, dinner or even lunch. It is a one pot dish.
Recipe For Quinoa Vegetable Upma
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
Serves: 2 - 3 people
- Quinoa – 1 cup
- Onion -1 (Chopped)
- Tomato – 1 (Chopped)
- Green chilies -3 (Slit)
- Ginger -1/2” piece (Grated)
- Chopped Mixed Vegetables – 1 cup (Carrots, Potato, Beans etc.)
- Grated Coconut – 2 tbsp
- Salt -1 tsp or as needed
- Water – 2 ¼ cups
- Oil -2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Urad dal -1 tsp
- Channa Dal -1 tsp
- Dry Red chilies -2
- Asafoetida (Hing) -1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 strand
- Take the quinoa in a strainer and rinse it under running tap water to clean it.
- Wash and chop all vegetables.
- Heat oil in a pan, pop the mustard seeds. One it splutters, add urad dal and channa dal. Roast the dals till it turns golden brown. Now add broken dry red chilies, asafetida and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions, slit green chilies, grated ginger and saute for about a minute.
- Add all the chopped vegetables and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the exact measure of water and salt. Bring it to boil.
- After the water boils, reduce the flame and add the washed quinoa. Mix once.
- Cover and cook on medium low flame for about 15 minutes. By now most of the water will be absorbed and the quinoa will be cooked soft.
- Add the grated coconut. Switch off, cover with a lid and leave it undisturbed for the next 5 minutes.
- Fluff up the upma and enjoy it hot.
- This Quinoa Upma can be enjoyed plain or you can have it with chutney or pickle.
- Have a cup of ginger tea along to make it a satisfying breakfast.
More Quinoa Recipes