-Submitted by Dahlia
(Soup with Quinoa, Kinwa Soup)
Quinoa (Kinwa) is an edible seed that is known for its high protein and fiber content. It is cultivated in countries like North America, Columbia, Peru etc and is not a native grain from India. These days however, there are many private distributors who are selling Quinoa online in India. Some of the big supermarkets also have this.
Quinoa is highly recommended for vegetarians due to its high protein content. It is also gluten free and can be safely given to people of all ages. These days Quinoa is sold in the form of flour and grains. I have already shared the recipe of the traditional Quinoa Pilaf. In the coming days, I will be sharing more Indian recipes using Quinoa like the Quinoa roti, Quinoa Idli, Quinoa Dosa, Quinoa Upma etc. The recipe that I am sharing today is a simple soup which is perfect to be served as a light meal or as a starter. It is a single pot complete meal since it has protein and vegetables all in one. Make it and enjoy!!
Recipe for Quinoa Soup
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- Quinoa – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 small (chopped)
- Garlic – 1 clove (minced)
- Mixed Vegetables – 1.5 cups (chopped, you can use green peas, celery, carrots, mushrooms etc.)
- Green Chilies – 1
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Stock/water – 4 cups
- Crushed Black Pepper – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro (Coriander leaves) – 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Olive Oil – 1 tsp
- Wash the quinoa in running water to remove the bitterness in it. I usually put the quinoa in a tea strainer or a fine mesh sieve and place it under the tap running water.
- Chop all the vegetables in uniform small pieces. The choice of vegetables is purely depending on your taste and the availability. I have used carrots and green bell peppers.
- Take the quinoa, onion, garlic, vegetables, green chili, salt and water/stock in a deep pan. You can use store bought stock or use bouillon cubes with water or use just plain water.
- Cook for about 20 minutes till the quinoa and vegetables are cooked soft. If you want to make it faster, take all the above mentioned ingredients in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Add the lemon juice, pepper powder, finely chopped cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil at the end. Switch off and serve hot.
Serving Quinoa Soup
- Serve the quinoa soup as a simple meal along with tortilla chips or bread toast.
- Quinoa soup can also be served as a starter before the main course meal.
More Soup Recipes