- recipe by Radhika submitted on 12-02-2010
Fish - 1 lb (app. 1/2 kg)
Shrimp - 1 lb
(You can also add other seafood like squid, scallops etc.)
Onion (Big) - 1/2 (chopped)
Green Chillies - 4
Tamarind - 100 gm
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder - 3 tsp
Corriander Powder - 3 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Salt - as needed
Oil - 1 tblsp +1 tblsp
Cilantro - for garnishing
Fennel Powder - 1 tsp
Tomato - 1 big (or 2 small)
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
1. Grind the tomatoes, coconut and fennel powder to a fine paste. Keep this aside.
2. Soak the tamarind in about 2 cups of water for about 10 minutes and extract its pulp.
3. Mix the chilly powder, corriander powder and turmeric powder with this pulp and keep it aside.
4. Heat oil in a wide pan or clay pot. Saute the onions and green chillies till they turn golden brown.
5. Add the spiced up tamarind pulp to this and bring it to a boil.
6. Add the fish and shrimp pieces to the gravy.
7. Add the ground coconut-tomato paste and required salt to the gravy.
8. Bring it to a boil, reduce the flame and let it simmer till the oil seperates from the gravy.
9. Heat 1 tblsp of oil in another pan and fry the fenugreek seeds.
10. Add this tempering to the gravy and switch off.
11. Garnish with cilantro and serve with white rice.