- Submitted by Dahlia on 6th Mar 2008
(Acorn Squash Stir-Fry, Indian Style Acorn Squash Fry, Pepper Squash stir fry, Des Moines Squash Fry)
Acorn squash is not commonly available in India. When I was in USA, I saw this vegetable in a grocery shop. I bought the squash and thought of doing an experiment with it!..Yes, I tried the south Indian poriyal (stir-fry). It came out very good. Here is the the acorn squash poriyal recipe for you.
Acorn Squash - 1 (diced)
- Chilly Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 strand
Roasted Peanuts - 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds - 1 tsp
Salt - per taste
Heat oil in a pan and splutter the mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add the diced acorn squash pieces and saute for a minute. I prefer to cut it into very small pieces.
Add salt, turmeric powder and chilly powder to it and fry for another minute.
- Add around 1/4 cup of water, cover with a lid and let it cook for about 7 minutes till the squash becomes soft.
In the meantime, roast the peanuts and coriander seeds in a kadai or in microwave.
- Coarsely grind this and add the powder to the cooked acorn squash.
Toss everything together for another minute and switch off. Serve as a side for rice.
- You could also use the same recipe with any of the squash varieties and make butternut squash poriyal, bottle gourd poriyal, chayote squash (chow chow) poriyal, zucchini poriyal, baby pumpkin (punjabi tinda) poriyal, pumpkin poriyal, yellow squash poriyal, ash gourd poriyal etc.
More Squash Recipes