- Submitted by Dahlia
(North American Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits with Sausage or Ground Meat Gravy)
Jump to recipe ↓
Biscuit with gravy is a popular breakfast served in US. I fell in love with this the very first time I tasted it. The biscuits are flaky, soft and buttery. It is covered with a sausage gravy. Together it makes a great combination.
In India, we know of biscuits as hard, crispy cookies served with tea. Initially I was confused too. Then I understood that American biscuits are different.
During my stay in America, I often enjoyed these in restaurants. I also bought frozen biscuit dough and made it. After moving back to India, I started missing it. So I make these at home. These biscuits can be had with sausage, jam or with the gravy like I have shared below. I couldn't find breakfast sausage in India. So I substituted it with ground beef. So here is my recipe for flaky buttermilk biscuits and creamy gravy.
Recipe for Buttermilk Biscuit and Gravy
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
For the Biscuits
- All purpose flour (Maida) - 2 cups
- Baking powder - 3 tsp
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cold Butter - 5 tbsp (diced)
- Cold Buttermilk - 1 cup (I used 3/4 cup yogurt beaten with 1/4 cup water)
For the Gravy
- Breakfast sausage/ any ground meat (Kheema) - 1/2 lb
- Butter - 4 tbsp
- All purpose flour - 4 tbsp
- Cold milk - 3 cups
- Salt and pepper - to taste
For the Biscuits
- Combine together the dry ingredients (all purpose flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda).
- Add cold butter and cut into the flour. This makes the flour crumbly.
- Add cold buttermilk and mix with flour just till it comes together. First I added 3/4 cup of buttermilk and add the rest only if required. (Do not over knead the dough. This will make the biscuits tough.)
- Pat and flatten the dough to a rectangle. Fold the rectangle into thirds. Flatten back to a rectangle and fold again. Repeat this 3-4 times. This makes the biscuits flaky.
- Now roll the dough into 1" thick mass.
- Cut out biscuits using a biscuit cutter. Gather the rest of the dough and cut out biscuits again. You should be able to get 8-12 biscuits depending on the size.
- Place them on a parchment paper or a greased baking tray. Lightly press the center of the biscuits with your thumb so that it rises evenly.
- Brush the top of the biscuits with some melted butter or buttermilk.
- Bake in a oven preheated to 400 degrees F (200 degree C).
- Remove in 10-15 minutes when the biscuits are golden in color.
For the Gravy
- Heat a pan and saute the sausage/ground meat until it is cooked.
- Remove the sausage and add the butter to the same pan.
- Then add the flour a little at a time whisking constantly. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the cold milk a little by little, whisking continuously.
- When the milk starts to thicken, add the sausage/ground meat back along with salt and pepper to taste.
Serving Biscuit with Gravy
- Cut the biscuit in half, pour the gravy over it and enjoy.
Other American Recipes