- Submitted by Dahlia on 2nd Nov 2014
(Breakfast Parfait, Yogurt / yoghurt / yoghourt and Berry Parfait, Mixed berry parfait)
The word parfait originated in France and referred to a frozen dessert. Like me, many of us know parfait as a popular breakfast or dessert made with yogurt. This American version of parfait has become so widely accepted that very few know about the original parfait.
Well, today I am also going to share the recipe of the popular breakfast from America and Canada - Breakfast Yogurt Berry Parfait. It is very light yet filling breakfast. If you want to make the same as a rich dessert, replace the yogurt with ice cream or whipped cream or mascarpone cheese.
You can also try the same recipe with ingredients available in India. I have given some ideas at the end of the recipe about the native fruits and other toppings that can be used.
Recipe for making Yogurt Berry Parfait
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: NIL
- Granola - 1 cup
- Greek Yogurt - 1 cup (or use use the thick part of your homemade curd)
- Honey - to taste
- Mixed berries (Strawberries, Blueberries, Blackberries,Raspberries,etc..) - 1 cup
- Sugar - 2 tsp
- To prepare the berries, toss the berries with sugar and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. You can add some lemon or orange zest for added flavor. If you have any fruit compote, feel free to use that. I have shared the recipe for mixed berry compote here.
- For the yogurt, you can buy store bought flavored yogurt. If not flavor your yogurt with some honey. You need thick yogurt. So if you are using homemade curd, be sure to hang it in a muslin cloth for 30 minutes to remove all excess liquid.
- Take 2 tall glasses. Clear glasses makes a beautiful presentation.
- Layer each glass with 1 tbsp of the flavored yogurt followed by 1 tbsp of the prepared berries and then with 1 tbsp of granola.
- Repeat the process till you reach the top of the glass.
- Serve immediately.
- If you are in parts of the world where you cannot find berries or granola, do not worry. Follow the same method and make your own parfait. You can use any fruit puree or chopped fruits instead of berries. I have tried with pineapples, peaches, nectarines, banana, strawberries and mango. It all tastes good. Instead of granola, just use oats cooked with some sugar and chopped nuts. You can also use store bought muesli available in India.
Other Recipes with Berries
Other Recipes with Yogurt/Curd