- Submitted by Dahlia
(Boondhi, Bhoondhi, Kara Boondi, Homemade Boondi)
Boondi is an Indian Snack made with tiny little gram flour batter droplets fried in hot oil. There are 2 types of boondi - kaara boondi (spicy boondi) and sweet boondi. Boondi can be had as a stand alone snack or can be used for making other sweets, chaats and snacks.
Recipe For Making Boondi
- Besan (Chikpea flour/Gram Flour/Kadala Maavu) - 1 cups
- Water - to make a thin batter (app. 3/4 cup)
- Turmeric Powder/ Yellow food color - a pinch
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Oil - for deep frying
For Spicy Boondi
- Salt - as needed
- Chilly Powder - as needed
For sweet Boondi
- Water - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Mix the besan, asafoetida and turmeric powder together.
- Add water slowly while mixing continuously to avoid forming lumps.
- Mix in enough water so that the final batter will be a thiner and smooth than bajji batter. The batter should be of the consistency to coat the back of a spoon evenly.
- In the meantime heat oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- Hold a perforated spoon (spoon with small round holes usually used for draining oil) few inches above the hot oil.
- Using another spoon, pour some batter over the perforated spoon.
- Spread the batter so that batter passes through the perforations and falls as batter drops into the hot oil. Gently tap the spoon to help the droplets to fall.
- One spoon of batter would make enough boondis to cover the entire surface of the hot oil in the kadai. Do not put more than that and over crowd.
- Once the vigorous bubbling of the oil stops, thats an indication that the boondis are done.
- Remove them from the hot oil using another perforated spoon and put them on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
- Store in airtight container for more than a month.
NOTE: This is the basic bhoondhi that can be used for chaats, for making spicy bhoondhi and sweet bhoondhi follow the below steps.
For Spicy Boondi
- Just add a tsp of chilly powder and enough salt to the boondi batter. This type of bhoondhis can be had as an evening snack or to make spicy mixture.
For Sweet Boondi
- Make a sugar syrup by boiling 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of sugar and soak the bhoondhis for few minutes till all the syrup is absorbed by the boondis and it becomes soft. Drain any excess syrup if present.
- This type of boondi can be had as a festival sweet, used as a topping for payasam (especially semiya payasam / kheer) or used to make bhoondhi ladoos.
More Indian Snack Recipes