- Submitted by Elizabeth
(Dry Chilli Chicken, Chicken Chilli Dry, Spicy Chicken Chilli)
Those were the days when I was studying in a boarding school. During my quarterly holidays, appa took me to our new home in a hill. The cool breeze rubbed my face as I travelled through the thick forest and dashing waterfalls in the rocks on the sides of the road. Monkeys, bisons, squirrels and deers were roaming in the roads. People in those places never disturb animals and birds there because they believe they share those creatures space. It was a rainy season so many waterfalls and streams were found on the way. Pure water gushed down the hills with a rhythmic sound. It was a tedious journey with so many hair-pin bends. We reached our home after some one hour.
During dinner, appa told me that we will be going to Henry uncle’s house (his new friend) for a get together the next day. The next morning, a whistling bird woke me up. We got ready for the gathering. Uncle’s house was in the middle of a tea estate and uncle was very friendly. Amma told me that he had worked as a chef in Dubai and resigned his job a few years back.
Uncle served us a reddish chicken fry decorated with onions, bell peppers and lemon wedges, which was really delicious. It was none other than Chilli Chicken. I got the recipe from uncle and the very next day tried at home. It was a grand success.
Here comes the Chilli Chicken recipe shared by uncle.
Recipe For Chilli Chicken
Preparation Time : 15 minutes
Cooking Time : 30 minutes
Serves : 4
- Chicken Breast - 2 (If you are using turkey then use 2 pounds of Turkey)
- Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
- Red Chilli Power - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Egg - 1
- Corn flour - 2 tsp
- Red Food Color - couple pinches
- Lemon Juice/Vinegar -1 tsp
- Bell peppers (Colored) -1 cup (sliced)
- Curry Leaves -1 string
- Onion - 1/2 cup (Sliced)
- Chilli sauce - as needed
- Soya sauce - as needed
- Clean the chicken and cut into small pieces.
- Mix the chicken with all the marination ingredients, let it sit for an hour.
- Shallow fry the marinated chicken in small batches. Each piece of chicken should not be deep fried for more than 5 minutes. Over frying makes the pieces hard. Once it’s done, leave it on a paper towel.
- In the same oil add the curry leaves and scoop it out and keep separately.
- In a different pan add little oil and sauté the onions and the bell peppers. Let the veggies stay crunchy.
- Add the red chili sauce and little soy sauce. Toss the fried chicken pieces with this.
- Add the curry leaves to it. Yummy Chilli Chicken ready.
Serving Chilli Chicken
- Just sprinkle fresh lemon extract on the chilli chicken pieces fried to make it even more tasty. This can be served as a starter.
- Serve this with any kind of pulav, fried rice or noodles.
More Indo-Chinese Recipes