- Submitted by Dahlia on 16th Oct 2008
Chaats have been my favorite comfort food from my earliest memory. Thanks to almighty, I was always around with friends who loved Chaats to the core and probably that was one of the reasons to bond better. During my working days, I strongly believed that Chaats in Chennai is never as tasty as one we get in Bangalore or Mumbai. That turned to be a complete myth when I visited Shree mithai in chetpet in Chennai with my office friends. I ordered my usual Bhel puri, completely assured that all other items in the menu would definitely not be appealing. While I was waiting to take delivery of all the items ordered, I saw the guy at the kitchen making dahi papdi chaat of my friend. The chilled-thick dahi that he poured over the papdi along with the chutneys and spice powders stimulated my taste buds instantaneously. I ordered another one for myself. And when I tasted it, it was just out of the world. I had never tasted such an amazing dahi papdi chaat earlier ever. Since then, shree mithai was a favorite hang out location and dahi papdi chaat a definite part of the order.
As years rolled by, I never had any thought of trying this chaat variety at home. It struck me only when we had the chaat as the theme for our pot luck lunch get together. I wanted to try out something unique and at the same time that is quick to make. My mind reminded me of the sumptuous dahi papdi chaat and I decided to give a try for it. It was a great hit in my get together. The best part of it was our 4 year olds (mine and my friend’s) also enjoyed it quite a lot. Since then, dahi papdi chaat is the most sought out chaat item at my household. Once each of you try this amazing chaat variety, am sure that it will be the most sought out item at your household too.
Recipe for Dahi Papdi Chaat
Preparation Time : 30 minutes
Cooking Time : NIL
Serves : 4
Papdi - 20 (homemade or store bought)
- Boiled potatoes - 2-3(boiled & sliced)
- Onions - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Chaat masala - 1 tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Cilantro - handful (finely chopped)
- Sev - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt (Curd) - 1 cup (beaten with little salt)
- Green Chutney - as needed
- Sweet Tamarind Chutney - as needed
Arrange the papdis in a plate.
- Top each papdi with 2-3 pieces of boiled potato pieces, some chopped onions, tomatoes and cilantro.
- Sprinkle little chaat masala, roasted cumin powder and red chili powder over that.
- Add little bit (about 1 tsp) of each of the chutney on each papdi. I have already shared the recipes for making chaat chutneys at home.
- Top each papdi with a tbsp of beaten yogurt. Add more yogurt as per your taste.
- Finally sprinkle lot of sev on top and serve immediately.
Serving Dahi Papdi Chaat
- As soon as the chaat is assembled, It needs to be eaten immediately. If not, the papdi will become soggy.
- For eating chaats, you need a big mouth. Take one papdi with all its toppings carefully in a spoon and try to put the entire thing in your mouth in a single shot. That's how you get to enjoy a punch of different flavors in your mouth. Delicious!!!
Any of the above toppings can be increased/ decreased/ omitted as per individual taste.
- As the name suggests, dahi or curd is the master ingredient of this dish. Ensure that the curd is chilled and fresh and beaten nicely. Even a little sourness in curd, will deprive the dish of its authentic taste.
More Chaat Recipes