- Submitted by Dahlia
(Millagai Chutney, Dry Chili Chutney)
Any readymade chutney in our refrigerator is total bliss. They are so multifunctional and can be used in many ways in many recipes either as an accompaniment or as an ingredient in a main dish. But it is not necessary that all readymade chutney is store brought, it can be easily, quickly and hygienically made at our sweet home. One of the many types of chutney that can be made in a jiffy is the spicy, colorful, aromatic and tangy red chutney.
Red chutney is made with three simple ingredients; red chilies, garlic and ginger. This chutney is an important ingredient in chaat, especially when one likes a spicy chaat. It can be used in bhel puri, paani puri, sev puri and many more. It adds loads of flavor and works in harmony with the other two essential chaat chutneys, the green chutney and tamarind date chutney. It is also used as an accompaniment for momos, samosa and even kachoris. It could also be used as a spread in dosas, pesarattu, sandwiches and kaathi rolls. Go ahead and make this red chutney and transform any dull food into titillating spicy food.
Recipe for Red Chutney
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: NIL
- Red Chilies - 10-12
- Garlic - 4 cloves
- Ginger - 1" piece
- Salt - as required
- Blend all the ingredients together with little water to make a fine paste.
- Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Serve with any chaats.
- Use Kashmiri chilies to make the chutney for bright red color.
- Soak red chilies in water for 15 min for easier grinding and smooth texture.
- Sauté the ground red chutney in 2 teaspoons of oil to retain the freshness for a long time.
More Chutney Recipes