- Submitted by Dahlia
(Green Leafy Vegetables cooked with Beans or Lentils)
Mustard Greens with Lentils
The combination of greens and beans take the leafy vegetables to a whole new level. Even people who do not like green leafy vegetables will love it when any dry beans is combined with it. You can use your own imagination and combine different greens and beans. Using different combinations and with the same recipe you can make several different sabzis like spinach green peas sabzi, cabbage kala chana sabzi, brussels sprouts channa sabzi, cabbage green peas sabzi, collard greens channa sabzi, swiss chard channa sabzi, methi matar sabzi, cauliflower green peas sabz etc... The best part about combining the greens and beans is that it goes very well with both rice and any roti varieties.
Recipe For Greens & Beans Dishes
- Beans (Any whole/split beans) - 1/2 cup (Chik Peas, Black Chik Peas, Green Peas, Lentils, Kidney Beans, White Beans, Butter Beans etc)
- Greens (Any leafy vegetable) - 2 cups (Cabbage, Spinach, Turnip greens, Swiss Chard, Brussels Sprouts, Cauliflower, Broccoli etc)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Green Chillies - 3-4
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Soak the beans in enough water overnight. You can use chick peas, black chick pea, green peas, rajma, any type of lentils or any other beans.
- Cook the beans with enough water until the beans is soft. You can pressure cook or cook it normally.
- Drain the water and reserve it for any other gravies.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the mustard seeds.
- Add the chopped greens (vegetable), turmeric powder and asafoetida.
- Cover and cook for about 10 minutes until the greens are cooked.
- Grind together the coconut, cumin seeds and green chillies.
- Add this to the cooked greens along with required salt.
- Also add the cooked beans at this stage. Open the lid and stir fry till you get a dry side dish.
- This goes very well with rice and rasam, mor kulambu or pulikulambu.
- The addition of beans also makes it an apt side dish for chapatti.
Kala Channa Cabbage Sabzi
Palak Matar Sabzi
Cauliflower Green peas Sabzi
More Green Leaf Recipes