- Submitted by Rani
(KFC Fried Chicken Recipe, Homemade KFC Style Fried Chicken, KFC Like Fried Chicken)
Jump to recipe ↓
One of the fastest growing fast food reataurant around the world is the KFC. It started in US and became popular for its fried chicken which has a crispy coating on the outside and soft juicy tender meat on the inside. Slowly it entered other countries and even made its way to India. It has become a new favorite among Indians.
I personally have tasted the fried chicken in US as well as in India. In US, the chicken pieces are really tender and juicy. For some reason it is not the same in India. Though it is made very flavorful to suit to Indian taste buds, I really missed the juiciness.
Making it at home really doesn't justify the original taste. I have tried to make it as close to the original as possible. It is to satisfy our cravings when we are actually not able to go to the restaurant. I prefer to brine the chicken pieces whenever I have time to make it tender and juicier. It is nothing but soaking the chicken pieces in a big bowl of salt water. The liquid should submerge the chicken completely. Leave this for 4 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. For this recipe, I really recommend doing that. If you don't have time skip this process but you will miss a juicy chicken. So here comes the rest of the recipe to make the best juicy chicken fry.
Recipe For KFC Style Fried Chicken
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Cooking Time : 20 minutes
Serves : 4
- Cooking oil - 5-6 cups
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
- Chicken (skinless) - 2 lb (cut in pieces)
Coating - 1
- All purpose Flour - 1/2 Cup
Coating - 2
- Eggs - 2 (beaten)
- Milk - 1 cup
- Soy sauce - 1/2 tsp
- Knorr chicken bouillon - 1 tsp
- Parsley (or Cilantro) - 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Garlic - 2 large cloves (minced)
Coating - 3
- All purpose flour (Maida) - 1 cup
- Fine Bread Crumbs (or Oats) - 3/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
- Onion powder - 1/4 tsp
- Paprika (or Red Chili Powder) - 1 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder - 2 tsp
- Wash the chicken, dry it and season it with salt and pepper.
- Mix each coating ingredients in separate bowls.
- Heat oil in a kadai put in medium heat (to cook the chicken).
- Coat the chicken pieces in first flour coating and dip in milk egg coating and in final coating of bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the chicken in oil. The oil should not be too hot otherwise the outside gets browned before the inside gets cooked.
- Check if its cooked properly and its light brown in color.
- Put in paper towel. Serve immediately with some sauce.
Detailed Steps to make KFC Style Fried Chicken
Wash and pat dry all the chicken pieces using a kitchen towel. I have used both chicken drumsticks and chicken thighs for this. I prefer to make slashes in the chicken pieces but it is optional.
Season with some salt and black pepper powder.
Make all the three coatings in separate plates or bowls.
First coat the chicken pieces in flour coating. I use my right hand to do this. Transfer to the second plate.
Dip it in the beaten milk-egg mixture. Use your left hand for this. After the egg coats the chicken, move the chicken pieces to the final coating.
Again use your right hand to coat with the flour and brread crumbs. This way one hand is used only for the dry coating and the other for wet coating.
Coat every piece with the egg and flour. Keep it arranged in a plate before you get the oil ready.
Heat oil in a kadai or frying. Vegetable oil, canola oil or sunflower oil will be good for frying. Carefully add 2-3 chicken pieces at a time depending on the size of the pan. Fry till one side turns golden brown.
Turn the chicken pieces and cook till all sides are fried. The oil temperature should be medium so that the inside gets well cooked. It takes about 8-10 minutes for the chicken drumsticks to cook and about 12-15 minutes for the thighs.
Remove the fried chicken onto a plate lined with paper napkin to absorb the excess oil. Serve it hot.
- If you want a juicier chicken, soak the chicken in salt water for 4-5 hours before applying the coating and frying.
- It is better to have the chicken in room temperature before frying as cold chicken takes longer to cook. As a result the outside will brown up faster before the inside gets cooked.
- For a healthier twist, you can bake the chicken at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes after applying all the coating. That tastes equally good too.
Serving KFC Fried Chicken
- Serve with french fries or onion rings and with tomato sauce as a snack or a light meal.
- To make it a complete meal, have some side salad or other sides like augratin, baked potato etc.
- You can also serve this KFC style fried chickens as a side for variety rice.
More Chicken Dry Dish Recipes