- submitted by Dahlia on 10-21-2007
(Mushroom Biryani, Soya Biryani, Mushroom Pulao, Soya Rice, Mushroom Biriyani)
Mushroom - 1 lb /1/2 kg ( cut into small pieces)
- Soya Chunks - 1 cup
Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Onion -1 large ( cut lengthwise)
Tomato - 2 ( finely chopped or crushed)
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Corrainder leaves - ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- Mint leaves - ¼ cup (finely chopped)
Green chillies - 3 nos (finely chopped)
- Oil - 3 tblsp
Ghee - 3 tblsp
- Coconut milk -½ cup
Water -3 cups
- Yogurt - 2 tblsp
Salt - to taste
- Chilly powder - 2 tsp
- Coriander- Cumin powder - 2 tsp
- Fennel Powder - ½ tsp
Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Whole Garam Masala - (Bay leaf - 1, Cinnamon - 2, Cloves - 5, Cardamon - 3)
Clean the mushroom with a wet kitchen towel to remove the dirt. Do not wash with water.
- Cut it lengthwise to retain the mushroom shape.
- Soak 2 cups of Basmati rice and the soya chunks seperately.
In a heavy deep vessel heat oil and ghee together and fry the whole garam masala (bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardomon).
- Add onions and saute till golden brown. Slowly add chopped green chilly, chopped corrainder and mint leaves while suateing the onions.
When onions turn slightly brown and crispy add ginger garlic paste and tomatoes and sauté till it becomes a paste.
- Now add mushroom slices. Squeeze the water from the soya chunks and add it.
Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, corriander-cumin powder, fennel powder, yogurt, coconut milk and salt. Saute everything until it thickens to a gravy consistency.
- Drain all water from the rice and put it in a rice cooker. Add the gravy to the rice along with water and mix well. Check for salt and switch on the rice cooker.
After the biryani is done, gently fluff it up with a fork and garnish with corriander leaves. Serve hot with raita and some sidedish.
- You can use one of the ingredients and make mushroom biryani or soya biryani alone.
- Enjoy the Mushroom and Soya Biryani with raitha as side. You can also have cauliflower fry or chicken fry as side
More Recipes with Mushroom
More Biryani and Pulao Recipes