-submitted by Dahlia on 11-15-2007
(Radish Stir Fry, Radish Thoran, Mullangi Poriyal, Mooli Ki Sabzi, Radish Vepudu)
Radish is a root vegetable that acts as a powerful detoxifier. It is very good for the liver and stomach. Radishes are usually red, white or purple in color. The white radish is also known as daikon. It is eaten by people all over the world. The tender varieties are sweet and are eaten raw in salads or used to make radish juice. The bigger ones have a pungent smell but tastes good when cooked with spices.
In India, radish is used to make mullangi sambhar, radish pickle, muli ka paratha or muli sabzi. Here I have shared a traditional south Indian poriyal recipe made with red radish. You can also make poriyal with daikon radish or other similar root vegetables. So here is the recipe.
- Radish - 1 lb (about 0.5 kg) (grated/ diced)
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped/grated)
- Garlic -1 (crushed)
- Coconut - ¼ cup(grated)
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Split black gram - ¼ tsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Dry red chilly - 2
- Curry leaves - 4
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard, dry red chilly, split black gram and curry leaves.
- Saute the onions and garlic for a while. Add the grated/diced radish along with asafoetida and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes sprinkling a few drops of water if needed.
- Next add the fresh grated coconut, mix it with the radish and switch off.
- Radish stir fry can also be made with grated red radish
Grated Red Radish
Stir Fry With Grated Red Radish
- Add the grated/diced radish, onions, garlic, asafoetida, grated coconut and required salt in a microwave safe bowl and micro cook for 5 minutes in full power. Toss everything once in between.