- Submitted by Dahlia
(Radish Stir Fry, Radish Thoran, Mullangi Poriyal, Mooli Ki Sabzi, Radish Vepudu)
Jump to recipe ↓
Radish is a root vegetable that acts as a powerful detoxifier. It is very good for the liver and stomach. Radishes are usually red, white or purple in color. The white radish is also known as daikon. It is eaten by people all over the world. The tender varieties are sweet and are eaten raw in salads or used to make radish juice. The bigger ones have a pungent smell but tastes good when cooked with spices.
In India, radish is used to make mullangi sambhar, radish pickle, muli ka paratha or muli sabzi. Here I have shared a traditional south Indian poriyal recipe made with red radish. You can also make poriyal with white daikon radish. It tastes awesome and the strong smell of the radish is totally masked. The pungent taste is also well balanced with the coconut added. So here is the recipe.
Recipe For Radish Poriyal
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Radish - 1 lb (about 0.5 kg) (grated/ diced)
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped/grated)
- Garlic -1 (crushed)
- Coconut - ¼ cup(grated)
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Split black gram - ¼ tsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Dry red chilies - 2
- Curry leaves - 4
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard, dry red chilies, split black gram and curry leaves.
- Add the onions and garlic, saute for a while. Add the diced radish pieces along with asafoetida and salt.
- Sprinkle some water, cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Open the lid and cook till all the moisture dries up and the radish pieces are cooked soft.
- Next add the fresh grated coconut, mix it for couple of minutes and switch off. Tasty Radish Poriyal is ready to be served with rice or roti.
- Radish stir fry can also be made with grated red radish as shown below.
Grated Red Radish
Stir Fry With Grated Red Radish
- Add the grated/diced radish, onions, garlic, asafoetida, grated coconut and required salt in a microwave safe bowl and micro cook for 5 minutes in full power. Toss everything once in between.
More Radish Recipes