- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan
(Cooking with radish greens)
Jump to recipe ↓
The leaves of radish, both red and daikon, are known as Radish Greens. In India, white radish leaves (daikon greens) are more common. Red Radish is also found with greens once in a while. It appears in markets during winters. It is known as 'Mooli Ke Patte' in Hindi and 'Mullangi Keerai' in Tamil.
In foreign countries red radish greens are commonly available than the daikon one. The greens have more nutrients than the actual radish itself. As with all greens, radish greens also has more fiber content and helps in piles and constipation. Radish leaves are naturally diuretic and helps dissolve stones. It also has good iron content. It also reduces blood sugar levels and is a gret option for diabetic people.
Whenever I see radish with leaves in the market, I get a bunch of it. This simple bhaji is a quick stir fry with grated coconut. It is one of the simplest yet tasty recipe that you can make with these greens. Cooking with Radish Greens is as simple as cooking with any other type of greens, I also chop and add the tender radish along but you can always make it with just the greens.
If you are one of those who have come across these leaves and are wondering what to do with Radish Greens? This Indian style recipe is a great one to start with. Once you taste it I am sure you will enjoy it.
Recipe for Radish with Greens Bhaji
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 4 - 5
- Tender radish with greens - 1 bunch (In India we get 5 or 6 in a bunch)
- Green chili - 1
- Grated coconut - 2-3 tbsp
- Ginger - a small piece
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Oil - 2 tsp
Before going into the recipe, I would like to share images of red radish with greens as well as white (daikon) radish with greens just for those who do not have an idea how it loooks.
- Wash and chop the radish and the greens finely. I prefer to do it in a chopper (food processor) to get very small pieces.
- Take a kadai, heat it and pour oil. When it becomes hot, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- After it splutters, add the chopped vegetables in it.
- Add turmeric powder, salt as per taste, mix, cover and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes. The leaves and radish should be cooked and all moisture almost evaporated.
- In a mixer, coarsely grind the chili, grated coconut and ginger.
- After the radish and greens are cooked, add the grinded coconut mixer in it. Stir fry for couple of minutes and switch off. Serve hot.
- When it becomes cool, add beaten curd in it. This can be served as a radish greens pachadi with rice.
- To make a lovely Radish Raita, you can also add little chat masala, black salt, pepper powder etc. as per your choice. Tastes delicious with some soft chapattis.
Serving Radish Greens Bhaji
- Radish with Greens Bhaji makes a great side dish for white rice and some curry or with chapatti. I have also mentioned couple of simple variations above.
More Radish Recipes