- Submitted by Visitor submitted
This is the recipe served in the famed Udipi restaurants (the exponents of Mangalorean cuisine worldwide) with dosas and idlis. You do not need sambar powder with this recipe. Omit whichever veges you cannot find. You can make this without veggies too.
Recipe For Udipi Sambhar
- Tuvar dal (tuvaram paruppu) - 1/2 cup
- Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Urad Dal - 1 teaspoon
- Red chilies - 6
- Coriander seeds - 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Curry leaves - 5 springs
- Coconut (grated) - 1/4 cup
- Shallot onions(small red onions called sambar onions in India) - 25-30 (cleaned and peeled)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
- Hing (Asaefoetida) - 1 pinch
- Green chilies - 2 (slit)
- Vegetables of choice (brinjals,carrots, french beans, pumpkin, yam) - 2 cups (chopped into big chunks)
- Tamarind pulp - lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked in 1/3 cup of water.
- Salt - 1/4 teaspoon (or to taste)
- Jaggery or brown sugar - 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cook the tuvar dal till tender then mash it nicely.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy bottomed pan and roast the fenugreek seeds till light red, then add 1/2 tsp urad dal and let it saute till they change colour too.
- Add the red chilli and coriander seeds.
- Add 3 springs of curry leaves and the grated coconut and roast.
- They should all turn light brown and aromatic.
- Cool and grind to a fine paste with a little water.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add the mustard seed.
- When they splutter add 1/2 tsp of urad dal and the hing. Fry for a minute.
- Add the onions and green chillies and the rest of the curry leaves.
- Add your choice of vegetables. Fry till you get a nice aroma.
- Add a little water. Cover and cook till the veggies are done.
- Extract pulp from the tamarind and add to the vegetables.
- Add salt to taste and crumbled jaggery (you can use brown sugar also i think) and cook till the raw smell of the tamarind disappears.
- Add the mashed dal and the ground masala.
- Mix well and add a little water if required.
- Simmer for a few mins.
- Serve with dosas, idlis or rice.
More Dal Curry Recipes