- Submitted by Dahlia on 8th Dec 2015
(Cheese Pickle Toast, Indian Style Bread Toast)
Cheese toast is a popular snack from the United Kingdom, in which grated cheddar cheese is spread on toasted bread and grilled until the cheese melts. Along with cheese, there can also be some vegetable or meat topping. They even celebrate a ‘National Cheese on Toast’ day. A variation of this from America is the Grilled Cheese, which is a closed sandwich.
In this recipe, I’ve made an Indian version of Cheese Toast with achar (Indian Pickle). Who doesn’t like Indian achar?? The moment it is added, it makes everything burst with flavors. The addition of achar in the cheese toast gives it a spicy tangy touch making your mouth water, as soon as you take the first bite.
The recipe of Achari Cheese Toast is a very simple procedure that can be easily adapted to the ingredients you have on hand. It is so quick to make yet very filling. It is a good choice for a lazy weekend brunch or a tired evening snack.
Recipe for making Achari Cheese Toast
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Bread slices – 4
- Chopped Vegetables – 1/4 cup (You can use cucumber, corn kernels, grated carrot, spinach, mushrooms etc.)
- Grated Cheddar Cheese – ½ cup
- Hung Curd – ¼ cup
- Indian Pickle – 1 tsp (use any pickle of your choice)
- Coriander Leaves (or Spring Onion) – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Salt – a pinch
- Crushed Black Pepper – a pinch
- Olive oil – few drops
Preheat the oven to 200 degree C (or 400 degree F). If you have the 3-in-1 combo oven, you have to select the convection mode for this.
- Arrange the bread slices on the rack that comes with the oven or on a baking tray. Toast it for 4-5 minutes. You can use sandwich bread, brown bread, multigrain bread, French loaf or any bread of your choice.
In the meantime, take the other ingredients in a mixing bowl (hung curd, cheese, chopped vegetables, coriander leaves, salt, pepper powder and pickle). Mix it. You can make it without any vegetables too. The addition of any fresh herbs like coriander leaves or spring onions adds freshness to the sandwich.
- Drizzle few drops of olive oil and spread the cheese mixture evenly on the toast. If you prefer, add some additional cheese or chili flakes on top for a beautiful presentation.
Repeat the same with all the bread slices.
- Arrange the slices back on the rack or the baking dish. Select the grill mode (or broil mode) and grill it for 5-7 minutes till the cheese melts.
Serving Achari Cheese Toast
- Enjoy the tasty cheese toast with a cup of tea as a snack or a quick meal.
More Sandwich Recipes