- Submitted by Dahlia on 22nd May 2012
(Rice Ada Payasam, Rice Pasta Kheer)
Ada pradhaman is a dessert which is very famous in Kerala. It is a type of kheer or payasam especially made during Onam. It's a part of Onam Sadya. This is made with rice pasta and tapioca pearls cooked in jaggery syrup and coconut milk.
Rice Ada - 1 packet (250 gms)
- Jaggery - 500 gms
- Sago (Tapioca Pearls, Sabudhana, Chawwari) - 1/4cup (optional)
- Coconut Milk (Thick Milk) - 2 cups
- Diluted Coconut Milk - about 6-7 cups (as needed) - Note: * You can use canned coconut milk or extract fresh milk.
- Dried ginger powder - 1 tsp
- Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - a pinch
Ghee - 3-4 tbsp
- Cashew nut pieces - handful
- Coconut slices (cut in to small pieces) - handful
Take a big pot of water and bring it to a boil. Add the rice ada to it and cook till it is done.
- Drain the excess water. Pour cold water over the ada to prevent it from sticking to each other. Keep this aside.
- In a smaller pot cook the tapioca pearls in enough water. When the pearls turn transparent, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan and melt the jaggery with little water.
- After the jaggery is melted, strain it through a metal sieve to remove any impurities. Return it back to the heavy bottomed pan.
- Add the cooked ada, cooked sago and the diluted coconut milk to the jaggery.
- Bring it to a boil.
- In the meantime, heat the ghee in a separate pan and fry the cashew nut pieces and coconut pieces till it turns golden brown in colour.
- Finally add half the fried cashews and coconut pieces along with the ghee, cardamom powder, ginger powder, salt and the thick coconut milk to the payasam.
- Mix everything and switch off. Do not boil after adding the thick coconut milk.
- Garnish with the other half of cashew and coconut pieces and serve hot or cold.
Over time, the payasam will get thicker, so adjust the consistency accordingly. You can add some coconut milk or normal milk to dilute the payasam.
- You can serve this payasam warm as such or with a banana. The banana is mashed and mixed with the payasam and enjoyed.
More Kheer / Pradhaman / Payasam Recipes