- Submitted by Dahlia on 25th Feb 2015
(Potato Broccoli Stir-fry, Broccoli Urilai Kilangu Varuval)
is a vegetable which is referred to as the powerhouse of nutrients. It is said to prevent cancer along with a ton of other health benefits. Overall, it is good to include broccoli in your diet once in a week.
My daughter enjoys to have steamed broccoli with some salt and pepper. It makes a great side for burgers or sandwiches. Another broccoli dish that she enjoys is Aloo Broccoli. In this broccoli is stir fried along with potatoes to make a tasty side-dish which goes well with both rice and chapatti. Since potato is a universally favorite vegetable, anything paired up with potato is sure to be a hit.
Recipe For Potato Broccoli Stirfry
- Broccoli - 1 crown (cut into small florets)
- Potatoes - 2 or 3 (chopped)
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder - 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) - a Pinch
- Salt To Taste
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin (or Fennel) seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Wash the broccoli crown and chop it into small florets. You can use the stem of the broccoli spear also after peeling it.
- Peel the potatoes, wash it and chop it into medium cubes roughly the same size as the broccoli florets.
- Heat oil in the pan and add mustard seeds. When it begins to sputter, add the fennel seeds.
- Add the chopped potatoes along with salt and pinch of turmeric.
- Stir fry the potatoes in medium flame till they are half-cooked. You can cover with a lid for some time to cook it faster. Do not add water. I like to use a non stick pan for this in order to reduce the amount of oil.
- When the potatoes are partially cooked, add the broccoli florets. Stir fry in medium flame for 5 minutes till the broccoli turns dark green.
- Now add the red chili powder, cumin powder and asafoetida. Reduce the heat and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- I haven't added onions or ginger garlic paste to the recipe. If desired, you can add them too.
- Serve this tasty Potato Broccoli stir-fry with chapattis or phulkas or white rice.
More Broccoli Recipes