- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 23rd Nov 2015
(Avial Without Coconut, Aviyal With Curd, Mixed Vegetable Curry With Curd)
This is a different version of avail without coconut. Those who cannot consume coconut due to cholesterol, this method comes in handy.
In traditional avail, we do not use ginger garlic but here I have used. For tradition Kerala style avial recipe using coconut, go here.
- Mixed Vegetables - 2 cups (I have used Red pumpkin, White pumpkin, Carrots, Snake gourd and Drumstick)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Green chillies - 2
- Garlic cloves - 2 cloves
- Ginger piece - 1/4 " piece
- Curd - 1.5 cup
- Besan - 1 tsp
- Rice powder - 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp (optional)
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - few
- Coconut oil - 1 tsp
- Wash and cut the red pumpkin, white pumpkin, carrots and snake gourd into cubes or long pieces. Cut the drumstick into 1.5" length.
- Coarsely crush the ginger, garlic and green chillies and keep aside.
- In a vessel, pour water and allow to boil. When it boils, add all the vegetables , salt, turmeric powder and the crushed green chili-ginger-garlic paste.
- Cover and allow it to cook till the vegetables are cooked.
- In the meantime, beat the curd with the besan and rice powder.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add this beaten curd.
- Stir and add the chilli powder, pepper powder and curry leaves.
- Drizzle the coconut oil on top and switch off.
More Vegetarian Side-Dishes