- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 05-14-2012
(Okra Raita, Vendakkai Thayir Salad)
Okra/ ladies finger/ bhindi - 3-4
Oil - 3 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urid dal - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli - 1 small piece
Curd - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/4 tsp (optional)
Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
Chat masala - a pinch (optional)
Cumin powder (roasted) - a pinch optional
Black salt - optional
Asafoetida - a pinch
Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. In a kadai, add two teaspoon oil.
2. When it becomes hot, add the chopped bhindi and fry them till they turn brown and crispy. Remove it in a bowl
3. Add oil in the kadai and add the mustard seeds, urid dal and chilli.
4. Add the tempered items in the bowl.
5. Beat the curd and add to the bhindi.
6. Add salt, sugar, chilli powder, asafoetida, chat masala, cumin powder and black salt.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves. You can have with dal rice, chapati or just plain and chilled.
During summer season, any items with curd is good for health.