- recipe by Eliza submitted on 09-06-2008
(Okra in tamarind gravy, Ladiesfinger Curry, Bendakaya Pulusu)
Okra -1/2 pound cubed
Small onion - handful Sliced
Tomato -1 chopped
Tamarind water- ½ cup
Kuzhambu milagai powder (or sambar powder)-1 1/2 tsp
Garlic Sliced-3-4 pods
Curry leaves-1 string
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Methi seeds- ¼ tsp
Salt to taste
1. Warm the kadai with oil and add thalippu (thaduka) with mustard seeds, methi seeds and curry leaves.
2. Add the sliced onion, okra and garlic, sauté it.
3. Add the chopped tomato and sauté it with salt, turmeric and kulambu powder.
4. Add the tamarind water.
5. Let it cook for 10- 15 mins.on medium heat until oil separates.
6. Serve it with steamed rice and appalam.
- Same recipe can be followed just with pearl onions or with just garlic and peppercorns or with any vathal or with drumstick or with drumstick and brinjal together.
- Can be cooked with couple tablespoons of ground coconut paste also (another variation).