- Submitted by Eliza on 6th Sep 2008
(Okra in tamarind gravy, Ladiesfinger Curry, Bendakaya Pulusu)
Simple okra ladies finger curry recipe where ladies-finger is cooked in a tamarind based gravy. Ladies finger Curry goes well with steamed rice.
Recipe For Vendakkai Pulikulambu
Okra -1/2 pound cubed
- Small onion - handful Sliced
- Tomato - 1 chopped
- Tamarind water - ½ cup
- Kuzhambu milagai powder (or sambar powder) - 1 1/2 tsp
- Garlic Sliced - 3-4 pods
- Curry leaves - 1 string
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds - ¼ tsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Turmeric - couple pinches
- Salt to taste
Warm the kadai with oil and add thalippu (thaduka) with mustard seeds, methi seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the sliced onion, okra and garlic, sauté it.
- Add the chopped tomato and sauté it with salt, turmeric and kulambu powder.
- Add the tamarind water.
- Let it cook for 10- 15 minutes on medium heat until oil separates.
- Serve it with steamed rice and appalam.
Same recipe can be followed just with pearl onions or with just garlic and peppercorns or with any vathal or with drumstick or with drumstick and brinjal together.
- Can be cooked with couple tablespoons of ground coconut paste also (another variation).
More Okra Recipes