- recipe by Rajee submitted by Dahlia on 03-02-2010
(Okra Biriyani, Ladies Finger Pulao, Vendakkai Sadam, Bhindi Pulav, Vendakkay Choru)
Tomato - 1.5
Okra - 1 lb
Onion - 1 (medium)
Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tblsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala Powder - 1 tsp
Chilly Powder - 2 tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste
Cilantro - for garnishing
1. Cook the rice with 3.5 cups of water and required salt. Keep it aside.
2. Cut the okra into small pieces and pan fry it with little salt and turmeric powder till it is completely fried.
3. Heat oil in another pan and saute the onions till it turns golden brown.
4. Fry the ginger garlic paste for a minute.
5. Add the tomatoes and fry till all the liquid from the tomato has evaporated..
6. Add the turmeric powder, chilly powder, corriander powder, garam masala powder and little salt.
7. Cook till oil oozes out of the mixture.
8. Toss this mixture with the cooked rice. The rice should be thoroughly coated with the masala mixture.
9. Finally mix in the fried okra. The okra should be evenly distributed throughout the rice.
10. Garnish with cilantro and serve with raita.
- You can also make the masala mixture and cook the rice along with the masala mixture. Finally toss the fried okra.