- recipe by Dahlia submitted on 07-10-2012
(Nellikai Sadam, Nellikayi puliyogare, Amla Baath)
Indian Gooseberry (Nellikai, Amla) is a fruit in south india which is famous for its health benefits. It is very rich in vitamin C and is also good for people with diabetes, cholestrol and cancer. The fruit by itself has a sour and bitter taste. It leaves a nice sweet aftertaste which many people enjoy. Kids enjoy to eat the raw fruit with some salt. It is also stored in salted water for many days.
Gooseberry Pickle is very common in South India. Some other recipes that can be made with gooseberry are gooseberry chutney, gooseberry pachadi, gooseberry dal and gooseberry rice. Gooseberry rice ia a quick variety rice that can be made on any busy day. It can be taken for lunch box with some potato chips. You can make it with fresh gooseberries or frozen ones.
Basmati rice - 1 cup
Gooseberry - 1 cup (Grated)
Cilantro - 2 springs (Chopped)
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Urad Dal - 1 tsp
Channa Dal - 1 tsp
Ginger - 1" piece (chopped)
Red chillies - 2
Green Chillies - 2 (chopped)
Curry leaves - few
Oil - 1 tblsp
1. Cook the basmati rice, fluff it up with a fork and let it cool. You can also use leftover rice for this.
2. Heat oil in a pan and pop the mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal.
3. Add the chopped ginger, red chillies, green chillies and curry leaves.
4. Add the grated gooseberry, turmeric powder and salt. Saute for few minutes.
5. Mix in the cooked rice. Toss everything together.
6. Garnish with Cilantro. Let it rest for few minutes before serving for the flavours to be absorbed by the rice.
Other Gooseberry Recipes