- recipe by Raji Ramakrishnan submitted on 07-16-2012
(Nellikai Urugai, Amla Achaar)
Gooseberry - 1/4 kg
Red Chilly Powder - 4 tblsp
Oil - 4 tbsp + 1 cup (50 ml approx)
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/4 tsp
1. Wash the gooseberry, pat dry and steam cook the same till it is done.
2. Remove from kadai and just press the gooseberry in the middle. It will part like a flower petal and remove the seeds.
3. Chop the same into small pieces and keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds.
5. When it splutters, add the curry leaves, chopped gooseberry, chilly powder, asafoetida, salt as required and mix well.
6. Switch off and allow it to cool.
7. In another kadai heat the one cup oil and allow to cool.
8. When both the items are cooled, mix together and store in a glass jar or bharani.
Remember the oil level should be above the gooseberry level to avoid getting spoiled.
Other Pickle Recipes
Other Gooseberry Recipes