- Submitted by Raji Ramakrishnan on 14th Dec 2015
(Cracked Wheat Upma, Cracked Wheat Salad, Samba Godhumai Uppuma, Dalia Ka Upma)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30-45 minutes
- Lapsi (Broken wheat/Samba Godhumai) - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
- Vegetables of choice - 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Green Chili - 1
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Ginger - 1" piece (julienned)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Sambhar Powder - 1 tsp
- Grated coconut - 2-3 tbsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Ghee - 2-3 tbsp
- Dry red chili - 2 (broken)
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - few
- Cook the lapsi separately in the pressure cooker with 1 cup water for 1 whistle. It should not become mushy.
- Coarsely grind the green chilli, ginger and garlic cloves and keep aside. You can also chop it finely.
- Heat the ghee in a kadai, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, broken red chilly and curry leaves.
- Next add the chopped onions and saute till it is soft.
- Add the groud mix and saute for few minutes.
- Now add the chopped vegetables, salt, turmeric powder and sambhar powder. Saute the same till the it is cooked. You can use any vegetables like carrot, beans, green peas etc. I have used pumpkin flower buds to make this upma today. If you have some leftover sabzi, you can add it directly too.
- Add the cooked dalia in it and mix well.Check the salt and add more if required.
- Switch off and garnish with coriander leaves and fresh grated coconut.
- Serve the hot lapsi upma with papad or chutney or pickle. I had it with manga inchi chutney.
More Upma, Kichadi & Pongal Recipes