- Submitted by Dahlia on 22nd Dec 2014
(Stove top Cake, Pressure cooker cake, No bake cake, No Conventional Oven Cake)
Today I am going to share a highly requested recipe - Pressure Cooker Cake. So many of my friends and readers do not have conventional oven at home. That doesn't stop them from making cake at home. All you have to do is to prepare any cake batter as per the recipe and then "bake" in any heavy bottomed deep pot. One of the commonly available vessel in almost every Indian kitchen is the pressure cooker. So here I will give the step by step instructions to make the cake in the cooker. Remember, you can make it in any deep pot. I have shared the recipe of Egg-less Mango cake today. You could make any cake using this stove top method.
Recipe for Mango Cake
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Oil (Any flavorless refined oil) - 1/4 cup
- Milk - 3/4 cup
- Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
- Mango syrup - 1 tsp (or mango puree - 1/2 cup)
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 1 1/4 cup
- Baking Soda - 1/4 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/8 tsp
- Grease any vessel or baking pan that fits inside your cooker and keep it ready. You can use non stick, aluminium or stainless steel vessel.
- Remove the rubber casket and whistle from the pressure cooker. Put about 1 cup of salt (or sand or baking soda) at the bottom of the pressure cooker. This is to create a oven like environment and also to avoid the pressure cooker from turning black. You can also use any heavy bottomed pan instead of a pressure cooker.
- Pre-heat the pressure cooker with salt for about 5 minutes before placing the cake batter in. We don't have to add any water at all.
- Take the sugar, oil and milk in a large mixing bowl. Keep whisking till the sugar melts.
- Add some mango syrup (or mango puree) and mix it.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients together into the wet ingredients.
- Finally add the lemon juice and mix together.
- Pour the batter into the greased prepared vessel.
- Open the lid of the preheated cooker and place a separator or another vessel at the bottom.
- Place the vessel filled with cake batter on top. Do this carefully using tongs as the cooker will be very hot.
- Close the lid and cook on medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the flame to medium low and cook for the next 30 minutes. If you continue on high heat, the cooker will turn black.
- Cook till an inserted toothpick comes out clean. This may take anywhere between 30-45 minutes.
- Switch off and let the cake rest in the cooker for 5 minutes before taking it out. After removing the pan out, again let it rest for about 10 minutes before you remove the cake and slice it.
More Cake and Muffin Recipes