- Submitted by Dahlia on 10th Dec 2013
(Ground Turkey Pie, Traditional Turkey Pie)
Recipe For Turkey Pie
For Pie Crust
All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 2.5 cups
- Butter - 1 cup (2 sticks)
- Cold water - 6-8 tbsp
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Black Pepper - 3/4 tsp
For The Filling
Ground Turkey - 1 lb
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Onion - 1 (finely chopped)
- Carrot - 1 (chopped)
- Garlic - 8 cloves (finely chopped)
- Dried mixed herbs - 1 tsp (Or just add oregano)
- Chilly Garlic Sauce - 1 tbsp (or use any hot sauce)
- Worcestershire sauce - 3 tbsp
- All Purpose Flour (Maida) - 1 tbsp
- Chicken Stock - 1/2 cup (or use plain water)
- Ground Pepper - 3/4 tsp
To make Pie Crust
- Cut the butter into small cubes.
- Combine the flour, salt and pepper powder.
- Mix in the butter cubes with your hands or using the pulse mode of the food processor.
- After the butter gets mixed with the flour, add 1 tbsp of water at a time and make a dough.
- Knead and form a smooth dough. Divide it into 2 equal portions. Cover it and let it rest in the refrigerator while we work on the filling.
To make the filling
Wash the ground meat using a sieve and drain all excess water.
- Heat the butter in a pan and add finely chopped garlic.
- Add the chopped onion and saute till it sweats.
- Add the ground meat and mix it. Let it cook in its own juices till all the moisture dries up.
- Add the chilly garlic sauce, worcestershire sauce and chicken stock.
- Mix the all purpose flour with 2-3 tbsp of water and add it to the filling. This is to keep the filling glued together.
- Let it cook for a couple of minutes. Switch off.
To make the pie
Take one portion of the pie dough. Roll it out to a 12 inch circle. Use flour to prevent sticking.
- Roll the other portion too.
- Carefully take one rolled out circle and place it on a 9 inch pie plate.
- Press it gently so that it lines the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Leave about 1/2 inch edge and trim the excess dough.
- Put the filling and spread it evenly.
- Put the second rolled out dough on top of the filling in the pie.
- Seal the edges of the pie by pinching the top and bottom dough. Do this all around the pie.
- Trim off the excess dough.
- Press around the edges with a fork so that it seals better as well as looks prettier.
- Make a couple of cuts in the top of the pie with a knife to let the steam escape.
- Finally cook the pie in a 350 degree F (180 degree C) over for about 35-40 minutes. The top should turn golden brown.
More Turkey Recipes